A lot of people today are buying and collecting survival knives. The reality is that there are people who are still not seeing the value of these handy tools in their pocket. Of course, there is so much more to knives than just being shiny collectibles or man toys. Let us take a closer look at some of the best reasons why you should buy a survival knife.
Can be used to defend yourself
For the obvious reason, you have to consider knives as a weapon. It means that it can hurt someone. But of course, it can also be used to help you in desperate situations. It can be used in order to give you peace of mind especially if you live walking alone or if you live alone. You can also make use of the knives to protect yourself from animals that could potentially attack you if you are camping outdoors.
Clears your path
Now, if you are the type of survivalist who loves to explore, nothing can be more stressful when you don’t know exactly where you are going. With the use of a knife, you can clear your path. It also makes it easier for you to remember where you actually went. A good sized knife for clearing the path is around 9 to 10 inches.
Helps give you fire
The knife can also be helpful in creating fire. Here, it can be sued to chop wood that can be used to warm your night. You can easily cut the wood to make sure that you have light in the night and to have warmth as well.
Can be used for hunting
When it comes to having a knife and you need to hunt, it doesn’t mean that you will have to do hand to hand combat against a wild animal. What you can do is to set traps and to even attach the knife and use it as a spear. Here, you will be surprised how handy the knife is when it comes to fishing or when it comes to taking out land animals.
After you are able to kill your prey, you can then use it to skin the animal. If you are an ethical hunter, your knife is a handy friend in order to chop the meat and make sure that it goes to your cooler.
Can be used when you are injured
Are you injured when you are in the wild? Now, having a knife can be a good thing because you can improvise with what you can see around. You can make your own sling or you can make your own splint given the materials that you have.
If you are planning to buy your own knife, remember that there are a number of things that you can use it for. It is a good idea to have at least two knives especially if you are the type who loves to hunt or loves to stay outdoors. Also, remember to never be cheap when it comes to your knives. Remember that not all survival knives are designed the same way.
You’re ready to go on a survival adventure, so you must get prepared by adding the right survival knife to your gear. Survival knives come in different types and are suitable for various uses.
- Boot Knives: These knives are small and have fixed blades. They’re usually hidden in your boots for easy access. Some people also prefer to hang them to belts or wear them around the neck.
- Hunting Knives: These have thin and sharp blades to kill your hunting game. They excel at cutting performance and should always be kept in the sheath to avoid accidents.
- Buck Knives: These are considered to be multi-purpose knives that can be used in various situations. However, most people prefer to use them for skinning their hunting games.
- Combat Knives: These are popular among soldiers who want to travel lightly without their heavyweight weapons. These are lightweight knives that can be used in combat or for other activities.
- Folding Knives: If you’re looking for a discrete knife, then you need to opt for a folding survival knife. It can easily fit into your pocket, although the blade might not be as strong as a boot knife.
With all these fantastic options, you must think about your needs before buying a new survival knife for your upcoming adventure.